Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Broken Identity

I broke my Georgia drivers license into 2 pieces in April 2006 when I tried to straighten it for a security guard in Memphis. I quickly asked for some tape and after joining the pieces I had a bendable license which has lasted for a very long time. Until November '07 I have used it for identification each time I board a plane or enter a secure facility which is really a lot of use. Most of the time the person that checks the bendable license says something like "I don't think this is valid" and/or "you need to get this replaced". My plan was to replace it when it expired in January '08 but in October the TSA implemented a new program for bendable licenses that meant a ticket flagged with the infamous " SSSS" that means this is somebody that needs to be checked throughly. At first it was just a more in depth check of my carry-on, then every time they checked for any bomb materials, next they added the blow test (where you stand in a phonebooth-like device and it blows air all over at the same time) and sensors check the exhaust for evidence of any foreign material and finally after two thorough pat-downs I have have been using my passport for identification.

No comments: