Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blogging and www privacy

One day in September as I worked from home and as I went out to get the mail I met Julie. Julie is our new neighbor who moved in just two doors away late in the summer. She said "oh you must be M... and your wife is L... - your the Salmons?" to which I replied "I have not met you yet - how do you know us... from the Home Owners Association (HOA) phone list?". "Oh no" she replies " I googled everyone on this Cul-de-sac". To which I replied " Oh then you have nothing on me!". Julie then said "aren't you Canned Salmon? and I would say I am scared of spiders and snakes too". Then I ran in the house crying (no actually I was so surprised I forgot to ask her name so I could google her as soon as I went in the house. I went into the house and as I started doing email again I had two emails from people who wanted to be my friend on "facebook" of all things. Those people were not from the US or Canada so I just deleted them and thought that was weird that people were asking to be my friend on facebook since I did not have an account anyway. A few days later I had another request to be a friend on facebook to someone in the UK that I have known for some years through my company and I deleted that as well. The following week I had member of our ward send me an request to be a friend on facebook so then I went on facebook and saw that amongst all the Mark Salmon's there was one that matched me so well it had to be me yet I did not create it. But who did and why did they do that? I was totally freaked out that I had a facebook that I did not create and that my neighbor reads my blog and knows so much about me. And since that day I have not made any post to our blog ( hi Julie) or any friends on facebooks since I have been trying to determine what is the best way to post personal information to a medium that has a possible readership of over a billion. If people are just browsing the web and find personal information who can blame them for doing anything wrong. Mmmm maybe posting personal information to the www is not the best way to let our family know about what is happening in our lives. Maybe there is a best way and if you know it let me know but first I should be more vague in some information. Second I can adjust the settings so search engines will not index my blogging. Next I can say in the profile that we live in Wolf Creek, Montana and if some crazy dude wants to find me and snuff me out because of the poor writing style in my blog then he will have a hard time since Wolf Creek is in the middle of nowhere, and he will likely run out of gas or freeze to death looking for me and maybe I don't live right in the town of Wolf Creek but in the suburbs. And if that is the case I need to be more optimistic about my Field and Stream collection (notice I refer to them as the collection now that I claim to live in the greater Wolf Creek Metropolitan area.)

6 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I am glad yor blog is public again. I had been meaning to ask you to put me on your viewer list, but never seem to get a chance. I had missed your witty sense of humor. So thanks, I know it is pretty pathetic to be so concerned on what other people are writting, but when you have no other vises and children are all about- a free good laugh is worth the time in reading someones blog.

D. Robert Erickson said...

I hope you're doing well in Wolf Creek. I'll be brief since you've probably moved to dial-up. Tell Laurie and kids hello.

Regards,

Robert...er...Bill, no wait, Tyrell :)

Jamie said...

I kept forgetting to ask you to put me on your viewer list, too. Glad to have your witty self back.

Shawn Butler said...

How is the weather in Montana this time of year?

I have had similar experiences. Yesterday, a company sent me a personal message asking when our 2-year-old daughter, by name, would be buying the company's product.

I thought, "Wow, that is some good marketing. Very one-to-one."

Turns out, one of my friends from b-school is their Online Manager and was just paying me a quick visit, but it is still unnerving that strangers know all about our lives.

But what good will it do them, really?

Cindy C. said...

As I blog a lot about the kids I work with at school and my own children or grandchildren, I have been very careful to never reveal the town we live in or anyone's last name including my own. I have even gone to the trouble of having my kids photo shop names off of things that might jeopardize our identity. I check out Google every once in a while to make sure that no one can track me down by my name. Once in a while I will post a title (ie reindeer cookies) and my blog address will come up and I get viewers from all over the world who might be searching for information about reindeer cookies. So far I have not had any weird stuff happen. I think you can share information and still be safe. I think you just have to be careful about what information you share. If you do go private again I would really like to be added to your list. It is a nice way to keep touch with you and Loraine!

John Salmon said...

Hi Julie!