I have really tried to avoid getting into this blog thing but this "Canned Salmon" blog has been created for quite some time and there are several links pointing to it making us look uninvolved or computer illiterate or both. For a while my excuse was " we do not have a digital camera" - I know that is totally lame as digital cameras are so cheap they practically give them away when you fill your gas tank. So I finally bought a DC and even though it is not a nice SLR it still works and takes reasonable quality pictures - good or bad pictures are determined by the person using the camera. I have looked at the events in our lives for a month or so pondering on what I would "report on" and it seems that our lives are much like a ongoing Seinfeld episode - nothing really is happening.
This is the first post - you know the worst thing about making the first post is that suddenly you are obligated to create another and another and so on otherwise it is like your life has been canceled (US spelling) or nothing is happening. But since we told you that nothing "is" happening we have nothing to lose...
A few weeks ago we came home from the grocery store and as we got out of the car I said to Loraine "Wow - somebody is losing a lot of propane
- hopefully they don't blow up their house". After we brought in the food and put it away I went out on the deck to fire up the grill. (You do not BBQ in the south - you buy BBQ at a BBQ place and you grill in your backyard) I could not smell propane at all assuming it was a neighbor having a bad day so I fired up the grill and since the igniter does not work I had my trusty portable igniter thrust deep into the heart of the ole' grill (I wanted to say BBQ) when suddenly the whole grill was engulfed in flames coming from below the unit - right near the propane bottle. My mind quickly thought that I did not want to be remembered as the guy that died lighting his grill in Georgia from the shrapnel of a 20lb propane bottle so I bravely reached through the flames and turned off the propane. Hair loss was contained to mostly my right arm but there was a bad smell in my nose indicating something else had fried. After a minute of getting my senses I needed
to investigate as to what really happened and poked my head close to where the bonfire seemed to originate.
There was a large hole in the rubber hose that delivers the propane to the grill and because it had teeth marks that looked similar to the teeth marks on the sides of the grill I knew it was the handiwork of a squirrel. You would think that squirrels are just furry, cute little mammals that hide nuts and have a lot of free time on their hands (paws). The ones in Georgia are busy all day and all night chewing grills, chewing plastic deck chairs (I wondered why we were the only people that thought plastic deck chairs are cool), throwing nuts, making noise and trying to get into someones attic so they can chew the wiring after they play in the insulation. A few months ago we had noticed that locally th
ey still sell grills with plastic sides in Georgia but nobody has them - not even us anymore. A few weeks before the latest squirrel incident we had purchased a new grill (BBQ) that is all metal construction, with doors on the bottom which now we know are to protect the rubber hose from sabotaging squirrels. There was not a really compelling reason to put the new grill into service, before the incident, although the squirrel teeth marks on the plastic side shelves dulled my appetite slightly but now the ole' grill was dead - killed by a squirrel. I wonder if propane has the same effect on squirrels as helium does on humans?
This is the first post - you know the worst thing about making the first post is that suddenly you are obligated to create another and another and so on otherwise it is like your life has been canceled (US spelling) or nothing is happening. But since we told you that nothing "is" happening we have nothing to lose...
A few weeks ago we came home from the grocery store and as we got out of the car I said to Loraine "Wow - somebody is losing a lot of propane
- hopefully they don't blow up their house". After we brought in the food and put it away I went out on the deck to fire up the grill. (You do not BBQ in the south - you buy BBQ at a BBQ place and you grill in your backyard) I could not smell propane at all assuming it was a neighbor having a bad day so I fired up the grill and since the igniter does not work I had my trusty portable igniter thrust deep into the heart of the ole' grill (I wanted to say BBQ) when suddenly the whole grill was engulfed in flames coming from below the unit - right near the propane bottle. My mind quickly thought that I did not want to be remembered as the guy that died lighting his grill in Georgia from the shrapnel of a 20lb propane bottle so I bravely reached through the flames and turned off the propane. Hair loss was contained to mostly my right arm but there was a bad smell in my nose indicating something else had fried. After a minute of getting my senses I needed
to investigate as to what really happened and poked my head close to where the bonfire seemed to originate.
There was a large hole in the rubber hose that delivers the propane to the grill and because it had teeth marks that looked similar to the teeth marks on the sides of the grill I knew it was the handiwork of a squirrel. You would think that squirrels are just furry, cute little mammals that hide nuts and have a lot of free time on their hands (paws). The ones in Georgia are busy all day and all night chewing grills, chewing plastic deck chairs (I wondered why we were the only people that thought plastic deck chairs are cool), throwing nuts, making noise and trying to get into someones attic so they can chew the wiring after they play in the insulation. A few months ago we had noticed that locally th
ey still sell grills with plastic sides in Georgia but nobody has them - not even us anymore. A few weeks before the latest squirrel incident we had purchased a new grill (BBQ) that is all metal construction, with doors on the bottom which now we know are to protect the rubber hose from sabotaging squirrels. There was not a really compelling reason to put the new grill into service, before the incident, although the squirrel teeth marks on the plastic side shelves dulled my appetite slightly but now the ole' grill was dead - killed by a squirrel. I wonder if propane has the same effect on squirrels as helium does on humans?
5 comments:
Yahoo! It is about time you guys started blogging. That was a great first entry. Good thing you didn't blow the house up. That's crazy. I wonder why they like plastic so much??
SS
its about time. thats all i have to say.
This reminds me of the green envelopes that I used to look forward to weekly on the mission. If you can just maintain weekly posts atleast, you'll be fine.
Hey,
Lighting fires too close to the house. Yikes, reaching through flames to save the entire family. Mark, you are the bravest person we know! We miss you guys. When is your trip to B.C.? We are just cooking here in Logan. When the temp hits the 90's for the first time we struggle. Russell went to bed with sunstroke yesterday. Congratulations on a new grandson. He is so cute. Love to you,
K & D
Welcome to the world of blogging! That is a crazy squirrel story - we look forward to many more equally entertaining stories on this blog! We miss you guys!
Post a Comment