Friday, February 15, 2008

Monster Shelf III

I needed a certain shelf unit that would have dozens of little compartments and would have a depth of only 6 inches. I could not find anything like that online or in any store so I concluded that if I really wanted it I would need to make it myself. I have not been able to locate my dado blade so it was going to be constructed by some other method. It was to go under the stairs in the back of the workshop so I decided to make it fit the contours of the room to fully utilize the space. So why is it called the Monster shelf III - well I and II were pretty big and they both reside in the garages of the last two homes in which we lived but this can now aptly be named Monster shelf III simply because of all the time it took to build the shelf. For each individual shelf there are 5 screws, 5 pre-drilled pocket holes and a bunch of glue holding it in place which does not sound that bad but many of the screws had to be installed with a tiny ratchet holding a Robertson bit since all usable screwdrivers are too long to fit between those nice little shelfs. It might be considered a flaw in the design by some but the finished product is exactly what I was looking for so my sore wrist and a few huge splinters were worth it.

5 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Hey, just wanted you guys to know we are having a blast with Sara here. Can't wait to see you for Aaron's graduation. -Steph

Sara said...

WELCOME TO CONSUMERREPORTS.ORG

Diane said...

Why or why don't you live by us? I always need monster shelves. Mark you truly are amazing. I always imagine the cool things we could make together.

poles up north said...

Hey looks great. ITs amazing how satisfying a few splinters can be. - Chris

byufish said...

Thanks for the inspiration Mark! Can't wait to start that project of my own. I hope I can produce something as cool as the Monster III! See you in April, eh?